        Alan Bolander: You'v related experiences similar to what I can
relate from my memory re PD and driving on California freeways.These began
about 4 years ago and helped to convince me that I had PD and not
progression of spinal nerve root compression of 30 years duration:
        First I fell asleep in the left lane of the San Diego Freeway, moved
toward the inner barrier that just happened to also be a cover for a
culvert. Result: angry LAers; no further damage. Second: several time since
then I sat down in the driver's seat of my manual shift Audi, reached for
the shiftstick and put my feet on the accelerator and brake. But which foot
on which pedal? I woke up to find that I was about to shoot out the (closed)
garage door. Third incident: I had just obtained gasoline in a small, busy
station and started to back-out (my feet placed correctly in my new,
automatic transmission Honda). The extensor muscles of my right calf went
into spasm, and I backed out 6 feet to tap the bumper of an ancient station
wagon. No damage done, but when I left the car to inspect the accident both
legs went into violent shaking. I am otherwise blesseed with very little
susceptibility to PD tremor. I stood with the owner looking at me for about
2 minutes; he was very calm, maybe the result of years of such experiences.
        I'v had no more such brushes with fate. I don't drive anymore at all
in the city (Nashville) but with intense self-monitoring and by my wife of
my sleep and sensory-motor status on the freeways.

       Thanks for sharing. A little reinforcement helps a great deal.
STEVEN (STEVEN E. MAYER,Ph.D,)
Steven E. Mayer, Ph.D.