Dear Bob and Nancy Maritone,

I want to thank you for your frank analysis of the pallidotomy after 8
months.  The issues expressed are most interesting.  The shift from Prozac to
Serone implies a renewal of self image and self respect.  The weight gain has
been experienced by many.  Your analysis is as good as any. One lady out here
was consuming 5000 caleries a day just to keep what weight she had.  After
the surgery she did not change her eating habits and has gained significant
weight.  I could easily lose 26 lbs and feel much better.

I saw the reversing of care giver  vs patient in a man who had a fetal tissue
transplantation.  As he improved from a devastating PD situaton, his dreams
started to show a probability of achievement.  His wife on the other hand saw
increased independance for her -- you might say a small form of rejection for
her.  This she took as meaning an increased opportunity to pursue her
interests which she had deferred to be a care giver.  This put horendous
strain on their relationship.  It was so much strain that she had to seek
professional help.  Both are now seeing professional help.

Today I can report that he, the patient, has changed his dreams.  He is now
an active partner in his wife's Amway business.  He has found a new set of
friends outside of the PD community who give him emotional and physicial
support he needs.  I have a feeling they will both be able to achieve their
dreams in the future.

You mention new problems such as CTS.  I have seen where neurologists have
claimed many of these after-effects are a direct result of the surgery.  I am
on your side, I think these newly discovered problems were always there, we
just did not notice them because they were small in comparison to PD issues.
 Having had PD for 20 years as Nancy has, some toll has been paid.
 Dyskinetic movement, freezing, akinesia are extreem points on the function
curves.  Running at extreem points will cause damage. The real test is how
much damage exists.  I don't think neurosurgeons, or neurologists can help
much there either. They can be very helpful in treating us as though these
were normal issues as with those not having had surgery.

Nancy has been to Hell and back and you have been there with her.  It is time
you enjoy a little "heaven here on earth/"  If you are a member of a chuch
that sponsors the marrage emcounters program, it may be something to
consider.  It may just provide the right atmosphere you need to express the
issues and feelings that this change has brought about.

It may be a sad commentary on our time, but listening to the news and reading
the newspapers all with such negative news, we are better programmed to
manage negative results than possitive results.  I think everyone on this
list server would like to be in your place -- managing good results.  I hope
Nancy continues to impove and wish the best for both of you.

Regards,
Alan Bonander