Katherine Gale wrote:-
""My major is Speech-Language Pathology so I am interested in hearing from any
one who has noticed changes in the quality of their speech""

As a young onset sufferer [44 years(4 PD)] I have noticed that my speech has
got quieter (stuck at the back of my throat) and also less articulate (due to
drugs and dry mouth). People physically move their head to listen and I have to
make a concentrated effort to focus my voice.
I have been considering speech therapy for some time (I am still active at work
and need to assert a presence in meetings and presentations). The latter are
hard enough without the "benefit" of PD tremors, etc. At my last visit to the
consultant I persuaded him to refer me to the speech therapist.
On booking the appointment the Dr asked if I would mind a student being
present: no not at all. I went for my first assessment last week and to my
surprise the 3rd year student (Leeds University, England) was to carry out the
assessment as part of her degree evaluation. I was very impressed! Not only did
she put me at ease but her emphasis was on the benefit to young onset PD
sufferers of early therapy, to mitigate or alleviated breathing and speech
problems later. Having gone along expecting little for my minor speech
difficulties I came away with a positive attitude; some notes on relaxation,
breath support and control to reinforce the exercises, and a request to come
back to discuss progress.
I wish Katherine good luck in her studies.

Bob Hills
Leeds, England
OLR

"Ultimately more complex than any machine ever invented, the brain is the
essence of what makes us human. Its blood vessels nourish three pounds of
delicate tissue. Its billions of cells mysteriously regulate the body, learn
from a lifetime of experiences, and summon the memories and thoughts unique to
all of us,"
Joel Swerdlow, National Geographic, June 1995.