Robert B. Howard <[log in to unmask]>  wrote  well on several
aspects of the very important interactions that comprise medical treatment.
I applaud your efforts in doing this.  I consider the difficulties in
accomplishing optimum medical care to be formidable for most, but well nigh
impossible for a significant portion of the low income, inadequately
educated, often less-than-fully-competent Parkinsonians and otherwise ill
elderly persons especially.  The divergence of income range has worsened
exponentially (see my home page for more on this if you wish) - and the
elderly poor have insufficient income to obtain medical care that is
appropriate.

I will try to limit the rest of this commentary to one aspect.  Bob wrote:
<<One thing has become clear to me in the past decade as a CG, however, is that
doctors see chronic disease patients as a series of snapshots: "This is the way
a PD patient looks (today)" - "This is what diabetes is like (today)'.Some
patients exaggerate their symptoms., others minimize them. Some do both at
different times. Earlier in the course of my wife's PD, she put on a "really
good show" every time we would go to her neurologist. She would seem just great,
tell about cross-country skiing, etc. to show that she really didn't have bad
old PD. An hour or two later, she would crash and guess who would have to deal
with the reality - naturally the CG.

I have concluded that the chronic disease is not really a series of snapshots;
rather it is a movie, moving sometimes slowly, sometimes rapidly, but always
inexorably to its denouement. There is no way for the doctor to see this movie
-really see it- unless he/she is the victim or CG.>>

I will add that the patient and doctor often "spar" with each other in
challenges - and have too much agenda by orders of magnitude for 15 minute
treatment time allocation.

Perhaps some strawman protocall document for improving the visibility and
understanding of chronic neurodegenerative and gerontological losses of
mental and physical competences could be a project of some of us in this
forum or self-help support groups.  The availability of clarifications
about obtaining optimum and appropriate medical treatment to nurses,
doctors, hospitals, clinics, insurers, patients, and patients-to-be could
improve efficiency and reduce waste.

ron      1936, dz PD 1984
Ronald F. Vetter <[log in to unmask]>
http://www1.ridgecrest.ca.us/~rfvetter/