I retired on full disability in August of 1994 at the age of 48 from a
high tech electronics firm. I had been the Head of Purchasing for ten
years but in early  '94 was requested to step back to a senior buyers
position b
ecause I was having trouble keeping up ( trouble writing, communication
skills, and tremors/jerking  that they thought impacted  my ability to
perform as a manager. Fortunately I had LTD ( long term disability )
and had n
o problem getting approved after my neurologist filled out forms ( one
point of interest= if your company pays for your LTD coverage , your
benefits are taxable-- if you pay the premium they are NOT taxable-- or
so I was
told )
Social Security was not as simple, had standard five month waiting
period. I submitted letters from 2 neurologist and from NIH
neuromuscular research ctr. stating I was disabled. II was still
required to see a SocSec appo
inted doctor ( all he did was check reflexes and have me walk ) Their
doctor agreed. I received a call one day from the case worker at SS -
she asked 4 questions:
        1) could I still drive?             [ ans.  yes but limited ]
        2) If I wanted, could I fix breakfast for myself, cook an egg?
[ ans. yes]
        3) Could I dress and shower by myself              [ ans.  yes ]
        4) Could I operate appliances, ie.. vacuum, stove              [
ans  yes ]
That was all she asked.  Based on my response she disqualified me as
being disabled. The reason listed in letter of rejection stated that
since I could " walk, talk, see, hear, and can effectively communicate
my needs I w
as then NOT disabled"  I wrote back stating that if I were to meet the
opposite of these I would not qualify because I would be DEAD. I filed
an appeal and contacted a lawyer to assist me. I was told it would take
6 -9 mo
nths for the appeal. My lawyer sent a letter requesting an explanation
as to why a Social Security could reject my claim when ALL medical
records said I was disabled.
        I received my first Soc. Sec. payment check 18 days after the
lawyers letter was sent. It took 3 months to get the letter of approval
but I was getting checks.  Surprising isn't it  ?
        One point everyone should realize, when I got my Soc.Sec.
benefits, my LTD insurance was reduced by that amount and any
overlapping benefits ( 3 months for paperwork) had to be immediately
refunded in full!!
        I hope this helps

John Kraft        [log in to unmask]    50 / 15 yr PD