        I (Steven Mayer) am responding to the messages questioning the
usefulness and availability of quinine sulfate in the treatment of leg
muscle cramps in PD. As of two years ago it was still available by
prescription from the Vanderbilt University Outpatient Pharmacy (at $0.0.08
per pill). Today it is still used for skeletal muscle cramps. Today, it is
used for muscle cramps,not related to PD. It is highly questionable whether
quinine is of any benefit. Based on the experience of the Vanderbilt
pharmacist and my reading of the recent pharmacology and pharmacy
textbooks,there is no clear therapeutic effect of quinine in any disease
except sensitive strains of malaria-carrying mosquitos (of which, because of
the resistance that has developed over the past 350 yearshere are few).
        The purported relief of muscle-cramping in PD is about as
well-dpcumented as the curative action of noodle soup in the flu.....And
tastes much better..... Quinine is one of the most bitter substance known.
There is at least one otc agent that provdides relief from superficial thigh
leg pain in PD (Dr.'S Cream, DABAT, P.O. Box 11783, Nashville, TN 37211.
Its active principle is capsaicin. Thoroughly wash any part of the body that
may have had contact with lotion. It produces a very but temporary burn-like
pain.
Steven E. Mayer, Ph.D.