From: Brian Symonds  <[log in to unmask]>

Hello Jeannette
I read your note about your father-in-law, his PD, his chest pain, and his
reaction to Morphine.
I am not aware of any reaction to Morphine peculiar to PD that might cause
his symptoms. Morphine on its own can cause such a reaction, even in those
without PD.It is unclear if his symptoms are part of a "delirium", or part of
a "psychosis" (both medical terms with specific meanings).Each of these
conditions is treated differently.
There are other pain medications, and someone (perhaps you or your husband)
should talk to his family doctor and insist that a note be put on his
hospital chart that he is not to get Morphine, and, if necessary in
emergency, insisting that he is "allergic" to it (although that is not
medically true) and that he can't have it. However, it is possible that if
one narcotic has caused this, others (such as Demerol or Meperidine) will
also do the same. And, if he is on Deprenyl, he cannot take Demerol.
The basic problem would be to try to determine the cause of the pain, and
treat that rather than the pain itself. It may take some testing to try to
determine the cause of the pain, and he will have to be prepared to go
through the tests. If the pain is not from his heart, then it may be from his
esophagus or stomache or gallbladder or colon or a musculoskeletal pain or
even from tension.
The Powell River Parkinson's Support Group have a booklet about Parkinson's
Disease, and if you would like a copy, send me your snail mail address.There
is also I understand a good Parkinson's Group in Victoria.