Dear David and other concerned friends of Dr. Iacono,

        I returned from Connecticut after a weeks visit with my in-laws to
discover this flurry of activity and comments concerning Dr. Iacono s status at
Loma Linda University Medical Center.  Although it has been ten days since I
have been in direct contact with Dr. Iacono let me assure you that he is
continuing to operate out of Loma Linda University Medical Center.  In fact I
would quote from a letter Dr. Iacono sent out on Feb. 20, 1996 wherein he
stated, *
**I am also happy to share some good news with you.  We leave the go-ahead for a
movement disorders and neuroscience center here at LomaLinda to focus on P.D.
and pallidotomy .  I am recruiting some excellent researchers to join our team,
possibly from Oxford, JohnsHopkins, and my alma mater Duke. We are planning to
cooperate with labs in Spain for immunochemistry and domestically for PET.
. . . . .The team continues to expand into psychology, physiology, and quality
of life issues, and supports both Ph.D. students and staff for these projects.
        I believe we are witnessing the major breakthrough in Parkinson's since
L-dopa.  . . . . . Our team is pressing home the fight.  We feel we have proven
our leadership and our reliability

.       with pallidotomy - reversing years of disease symptoms
.       with advising against Eldepryl - finally shown to increase mortality by
60%!
.       by advising to eliminate the negative effects of milk products when
taking Sinemet - which can block dopa for 4 hours
.       by our Internet free clinic and newsletters
.       but mostly by our care and commitment. **

        David I must say I was concerned to hear you saying

>Their faxes seeking clarification have been repeatedly ignored. I
>know of other individuals that I have referred to Dr. Iacono who
>have been similarly ignored and/or abused.

        You know from your visit to Loma Linda University Medical Center that Dr.
Iacono works with the absolute minimum of support staff.  This, not by his
choice, but it seems to be a necessity in today s medical environment,
particularly at Loma Linda.  As you well know there is not anyone anywhere in
the world who is getting better results with pallidotomies than Dr. Iacono.  Yet
it is incredible to me that he can continue to work with so little support from
the Loma Linda University Medical Center administration.  As you know even the
neurology dept. at Loma Linda is not beyond taking some regular potshots at Dr.
Iacono.
        Yet in spite of all this some of the finest and most knowledgeable staff
people to work with each patient caring for them as individuals despite the
large numbers being cared for.  We are desperately trying to link up with
like-minded neurologists and neurosurgeons across the country and around the
world so that we will better be able to provide the ongoing care that these
special people deserve.
        While it is true that Dr. Iacono is working without a contract at Loma
Linda University Medical Center it is not true that he has been locked out.  In
an attempt to keep his options open Dr. Iacono has performed Pallidotomies at
various with the same outstanding results.
        David, concerning your friend who received the letter of cancellation
with no explanation, I am sorry.  But you must be aware of the severe
limitations placed on Dr. Iacono in trying to follow up with patients halfway
around the world given the limitations of his present staff.  Although patients
will say that it doesn t matter we have found this is not always the case
following surgery.
        With the ever increasing number of patients requesting and even demanding
surgery I hope you can appreciate the dilemma for a man who cares as much for
his patients as Dr. Iacono does.  In fact his willingness to do whatever it
takes to help the patient is what has often be a source of contention with him
in the medical community at large and caused him to be called a *maverick* and a
*cowboy.*
        Yet, Dr. Iacono s shoulders are broad  when it comes to unfair reviews by
his peers, but a disgruntled patient is always a concern.  Again I don t know
the specifics as to your friend receiving that note of cancellation but I will
speak with Dr. Iacono about it on Tuesday when I am with him if you will give me
his name.
        I hope this note helps answer some of the questions raised and allay some
of the fears expressed in recent days.

Don

Dr. Don Berns
4943 Del Monte Rd.