Thanks to Bob Howard for his explanations.  I know that we were annoyed that
we had to "shop for a good doctor"; who wants to go shopping when you're sick?
But handling illness has become more a patient's responsiblity than it was
in previous years.  Don knows more about PD than his doctors do; his doctors,
however, know more about medicine.  Together, doctors and patient work out
the best course of treatment.  I don't think we were "fortunate" to find
doctors who care; we just quit going to those who didn't (or didn't seem to).
We were constrained by those on the HMO's list, of course, but we found
suitable care within those constraints (except for the stim. surgery, of
course, which we are still paying off by moonlighting).

Joanne Sandstrom
CG for Don, 58, 21 yrs., sinemet & eldepryl, stim surgery 6/94