>Last year, Montgomery reported that he identified three early diagnostic
>PD symptoms: (1) hand motion, (2) smell, and (3) depression.
>Does anyone have more info on his research?

I  participated in this study with Dr. M, and so did my adult son. I think
most of us were recruited from his patient roster and our monthly APDA
meeting. Us parkies had to go in 2 mornings unmedicated (a challenge parking
and navigating to the 6th floor of University Med Center before the morning
toddy) and do some simple arm/wrist motor skills that were computer timed
and logged. I guess the point was that we were pretty slow. I thought it was
cute the way his research assistant kept praising me for my performance, I
think she was afraid I might get discouraged.

The really hard part was the scratch n'sniff...I thought that was going to
be fun, but after an hour of trying to tell if a smell was bubble gum or
turpentine or a rose, etc...my frustration level was very high. I knew I
couldn't smell vey well, but I didn't realize that I really can't smell at all.

I think the test has paved the way for early diagnosis efforts, which are
considered more important with developments like Eldypryl.

Kathie Tollifson