Dear Mike, I too have experienced some speech  deterioration  after my
pallidotomy but I will take
that as opposed to thee dyskinesia and the stiffness that I had before. So
many other things are so much better  now.  Even with the speech deficit I
regularly taech an adult bible class each week.
David Moreland

>I am the son of a long term Parkinson's patient who just had a pallidotomy
>at a Toronto hospital last week (March 18, 1996). Dr. Lozano was the
>neurosurgeon. Contrary to most of the Web reactions to this surgery that I
>have read, my Mother was extremely unhappy with the result.
>
>In summary, although her arm & leg motions were improved dramatically when
>she was sitting in a chair doing the exercises, these improvements did not
>translate into any useable gains. Another words, she found it more difficult
>(actually impossible) to get out of bed and walk. Also, the skill of
>"picking up things" has gotten worse. Finally, her ability to speak
>deteriorated greatly and she began to drool as a result of the surgery. This
>speech deterioration is the thing that bothers her the most.
>
>Dr. Lozano said he has had only one other patient out of 100 have their
>speech deteriorate and in that case, the ability to speak returned in 2-3
>weeks. However, when I read other patients comments, a more typical reaction
>seems to be that the deteriorated speech effect is a small price to pay for
>the other gains. I did not see anybody saying that it had gotten better.
>
>Any comments regarding the speech problem specifically or the results in
>general would be appreciated.
>
>Regards, Mike Holliday ([log in to unmask]) in Houston, Tx
>
>My Mother (Joan Holliday)([log in to unmask]) lives in Buffalo, NY

David L. Moreland