At 03:37 PM 25/03/96 -0500, Ivan Suzman wrote:

>We're all curious to hear from other Parkinsonians.
>Do other Parkinsonians  have diabetic siblings or parents?
>
>I think there is a GENE which can  cause PD or diabetes, depending on what
>other genetic factors are present.
>
>Anyone doing genetic studies may find this link worth pursuing.  It could be
>crucial to unlocking the still mysterious cause of Parkinson's!

I was diagnosed with diabetes in Oct '83 at age 39, but had failed to
recognise its symptoms for some years prior to that date.  I have what is
known as 'borderline' diabetes, neither infantile nor mature onset.  I am
insulin dependent, but have only one dose (20 units) once a day as my body
still produces irregular small amounts of insulin but does not respond to
the insulin-stimulating tablets (tried them all).  Symptoms of parkinsons
were evident from '90 (age 46).

My mother was diagnosed with diabetes during her pregnancy with me (3rd
child) at age 28.  She died from a heart condition at age 67.  It is
possible she had Parkinsons -- she used to complain to me about a shaking
feeling in the legs and abdomen, but we thought this was due her somewhat
unstable diabetes.  I have often experienced such feelings and now know they
are a symptom of my parkinsons.

None of my siblings have shown symptoms of either diabetes or parkinsons.
My grandfather had parkinsons from around 60 years old and developed mature
onset diabetes at age 67.

Perhaps the above may be useful to a researcher.

Dawn in Sydney