At 08:12 PM 3/21/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Some friends have asked for more information on apomorphine.  They've heard
>that it is highly effective in reducing dyskinesias common with long term
>l-dopa usage. This is not a question about the short-acting pen-injection
>studies to relieve freezing, but more about regular long-term administration.
>My last PD Digest references on apomorphine are from late 1994.  Is anyone in
>Europe or Canada using apomorphine on a regular basis to substitute for
>sinemet and getting relief from dyskinesia?

I have chatted with a nurse in the UK on the Parkinson's chat and it was her
opinion that apomorphine was a poor substitute for carbidopa/levodopa. I
believe that her opinion was based on 'quality of life' observations.

Apomorphine is being tested in Canada as a solution for impotence in
Parkinson's disease and apomorphine is also being tested there in tablet
form. One thing is clear, presently it will 'rescue' those frozen while
crossing a street....It allows one to continue on to the otherside so that
one can vomit in safety. Domperidone is used with it to reduce this side-effect.

John Cottingham    "The parkinsn list brings Knowledge, Comfort, Hope, and
Homeboy             Friendship to the parkinsonian world."
LibraryH            Parkinson's Chat on the Undernet 8:30 PM CST -6 Daily.
                    If you access the Internet through a provider with a
[log in to unmask]     PPP/SLIP account, free IRC chat software is available. WFD