Hello everyone,

I'd like to introduce myself to the members of the list.  My name is Stephen
Duff and I live in a small town in southern NJ just across the river from
Philadelphia, PA.  I'm 43, married and have four children ranging in age
from 10 to 20 yrs old.  I'm a Chemical Engineer; but, I use computers more
than chemicals these days.  And my typing (or deterioration of my typing)
made me more aware of an increasing tremor in my left hand.  Over the past
several years I've noticed at times that my left hand would shake and I
would drop things like a pencil or screwdriver.  In the past year I have
occasionally staggered and nearly fell a few times.  In general, I've tried
to ignore the symptoms until it effected my work - writing or running
computer software.

My maternal grandfather was diagnosed with Parkinsons Disease in 1970, so I
know just a little bit about the disease and its progression.  In the '70s
there were not too many options for treatment and the L-Dopamine that he was
given had side effects that were almost as bad as the disease itself.  I've
seen some postings here about a potential relationship to diabetes so I'll
mention that my mother and my maternal grandmother have diabetes.

I have not had a formal diagnosis of Parkinsons Disease yet.  My family
doctor called it Parkinsonism.  I go for an MRI on Thursday and have an
appointment with a Neurologist in early April.  And, I joined this list with
the hope that I could talk to other people with Parkinsons Disease and
gather the information that I may need in the future.  I also hope to be
able to contribute to the list since I have a few contacts in the
pharmaceutical industry and also have had plenty of chemistry while in school.

I can't sign off until I express my gratitude to the person(s) responsible
for starting and maintaining this list.  This is a very valuable resource
for anyone with Parkinsons and their families.  Many thanks.

Best Regards,

Stephen Duff

I squirm when I see athletes praying before a game.
Don't they realize that if God took sports seriously
he never would have created George Steinbrenner.

Mark Russel