Like Charles Niggley who wrote, ' I cannot disagree with Bill Harper
Jr., pharmacist - but my wife reacts differently to the generic' ...
I, too, have experienced adverse reactions to generic meds.

When I was diagnosed with high blood pressure, I went through a whole
raft of drugs before we found one I could tolerate, and some of my
reactions were listed as 'rare.'

A year or so ago, I was given a generic med. for high blood pressure
instead of the brand name which I had been taking for years. When I
started having mild, dull headaches and a general feeling that
something was not right, I called my doctor and he wrote another
prescription for me - NO GENERIC. The headaches, etc. went away.

My system is not only sensitive to medications, but drugs that most
people can tolerate, I cannot, and vice versa. My doctor told me I
was a physician's nightmare, because while most people have a list of
drugs they cannot take, he has a list of drugs I CAN take.

When I needed my Deprenyl prescription renewed recently, my
pharmacist called and asked if I would like one that had recently
been approved in Canada because it was much less expensive than the
'Shulman' Deprenyl, but because of my experiences I asked him to
check with my neurologist. The neurologist told him I was to stick
with the 'Shulman' Deprenyl.

My sister, who has a thyroid condition, was given a generic med.
instead of the brand name the second time her prescription was filled,
 and she too ran into difficulties. Her endocrinologist says - NO
GENERIC.

As someone else suggested, try the generic, but if it causes problems,
 switch back to the brand name. It is important to be aware of any
changes when starting a new medication, and only you know how your
body feels.

Judith   [log in to unmask]
London, Ontari