>                                 RTK.NET Mail 135350   Mar 22 22:53:03 1996
>

>I have never heard of bee sting therapy being used to treat PD, but have
>heard of it being used to treat multiple sclerosis.  I think it falls
>somewhere between "very experimental" and "potentially harmful and very
>likely worthless 'cures'".....
>Sherri

REFERENCES TO ARTICLES CONCERNING HONEY BEE STING THERAPY FOR MS.
(Compiled by GordonDH and KaranSH)

Bee venom study begins.(use of bee venom to alleviate MS symptoms).
Inside-MS,VOL:v13,ISS:n2,DATE:Summer 1995,PAGE:p7(1),ISSN:0739-9774.
COPYRIGHT 1995 National Multiple Sclerosis Society.
In  the past few years, people have been saying that bee stings
     alleviate their  MS  symptoms.  Bee  enthusiasts  have  made
     bees available free, and despite  medical concern about the
     danger of the sudden, potentially lethal allergic  reaction
     called anaphylactic shock, which can be triggered by bee venom,
     believers in bee stings have persisted. Honey bee venom or HBV
     contains a complex of chemicals, which may vary in strength from
     hive to hive. Some of these chemicals clearly affect either
     nerve signals or the immune system, for an allergic reaction
     always follows a sting. Is there a measurable benefit in MS to
     justify the pain and danger? The National MS Society has given
     a pilot research grant to Dr. Fred Lublin at Thomas Jefferson
     University to explore some basic questions. Dr. Lublin will test
     the ability of purified HBV to alter an MS-like disease in
     laboratory mice. If HBV has any effect on the disease, or on the
     nervous system of the mice, Dr. Lublin will do further experiments
     to determine if it acts on immune-system cells or on nerve signals.
     The first would imply HBV can affect the underlying disease and
     the second would suggest that HBV has potential for symptom control.
     Before more people are stung, Dr. Lublin hopes to acquire the
     scientific data needed to design controlled clinical trials of HBV.
Healing with honeybees.(using bee stings to treat arthritis, multiple
sclerosis, lupus erythematosus, etc.).
East-West,VOL:v18,ISS:n10,DATE:Oct 1988,PAGE:p10(1),ISSN:0888-1375.
Health and the honeybee; xviii + 92 pp; ISBN: 0-9642485-0-6; $12.95;
Publisher: Queen City Publications; Burlington, VT; USA.
This book reflects the author's personal experiences as an apitherapist
for more than 60 years. It describes particularly the use of honey bee
venom to treat autoimmune diseases, especially arthritis and multiple
sclerosis. Many successful case histories are described and the author
gives step-by-step directions for those who wish to apply bee venom
therapy to themselves.
Charles Mraz: Bee venom king of America.
AMERICAN-BEE-JOURNAL, VOL.133, NO.10, Oct., P.710-712. 1993
Charles Mraz, born in 1905 and now living in Middlebury, Vermont,
founded the American Apitherapy Society in the 1970s. Mraz uses bee
venom therapy (BVT) to treat arthritis, mainly, and some cases of
multiple sclerosis, free of charge. For decades, Mraz has harvested
and supplied pure bee venom to scientists for medical research.
Scientific symposium on apitherapy.
AMERICAN-BEE-JOURNAL, VOL.133, NO.8, Aug., P.541-542.; 1993.
The American Apitherapy Society (AAS) held its 4th annual scientific
symposium and annual meeting in Baltimore, Maryland on May 14-15, 1993.
The meeting featured discussions of bee venom therapy (BVT) and
presentation of case histories successfully treated with BVT.
Bee venom therapy for multiple sclerosis.
AMERICAN-BEE-JOURNAL, VOL.133, NO.3, March, P.192.; 1993.
For at least 60 years Charles Mraz has been treating rheumatic
diseases with bee venom therapy and in the late 1980s began treating
people with multiple sclerosis (MS). According to Mraz, the interest
in bee venom therapy for MS has been growing.
Bee venom to be studied in MS.(treatment of chronic progressive
multiple sclerosis) (Brief Article).
SCRIP-World-Pharmaceutical-News,ISS:n1910,DATE:April 1 1994,PAGE:p22
 ------------------------------
Stinging medicine; bee venom treatment given MS victims at Valley home.
(San Fernando Valley home of Shirley Checkos)
Los-Angeles-Times,VOL:v113,DATE:Jan 4 1994,PAGE:pB1,ISSN: 0458-3035.
----------------------------
Folk medicine battles science as bee venom is touted as a remedy for
multiple sclerosis.(includes directory) (Health Pages) (Column).
The-New-York-Times,VOL:v142,Sept 8 1993,PAGE:B7(N)pC12(L),ISSN: 0362-4331.
Hope stings eternal: Can bee venom help MS patients? Yes, they believe.
And maybe that's the point. (multiple sclerosis sufferers try medically
unproven treatment of bee stings, report improvement in their condition).
The-Washington-Post,VOL:v116,June 22 1993,PAGE:E1
Healing with honeybees.(using bee stings to treat arthritis, multiple
sclerosis, lupus erythematosus, etc.).
East-West,VOL:v18,ISS:n10,Oct 1988,PAGE:10(1),ISSN:0888-1375.