About the usefulness of support groups and counseling, a few thoughts.
I feel both CAN be very valuable [of course, as a retired counselor, I'm
prejudiced :-) ]  I would say that in some ways, a "virtual" support
group like PD or CARE lists may havesome advantages, as well as some
limitations.  Out local support group for PD is somewhat lacking in
real personal interchanges much of the time. It's a small group, and
many  members  seem unwilling or unable to express feelings freely--in
the area of "practical" help, this is not true,though.  I think in
some way the "anonymity" of the lists makes it easier to do this, just as
often we can talk to our loved ones more freely in the dark bedroom than
across the dining table :-)   We can back off from the list with no conse-
quences, if we feel too threatened.  Some support groups are more"open",
and I see this with a small local group for all kinds of CGs (not just for PD).
Much depends on the makeup of the group, the leadership style and sensitivity
of the facilitator, etc. In counseling, there is more individual focus,
and more time to deal with the particular problem one has at the moment. Here
too it is important to find the right counselor--one you can be comfortable
working with.  Both group and counselor can be really great resources for
helping evaluate options, face/deal with feelings,etc. Often folks on these
lists express their appreciation of them because they DON't have other
means of support available. I'd certainly try out any available group to see
if I found it helpful--and fun! And I wouldn't rule out counseling on the basis
 of cost, since all communities have resources that are sliding-scale/income r
related. Give them a try!
Camilla Flintermann,CG for Peter 76/6+ Oxford,OH