>I've been lurking for a while and borrowing letters to share with medical
>personel in my MIL's nursing home.  I've successfully convinced them to have
>her meds re-evaluated by the neurologist to relieve her severe dystonia.  Her
>primary diagnosis is Alzheimers but removing the Cognex meds, I think,
>severely changed her needs for the sinimet.  We'll see where that goes and
>thanks for being here.
>
>A simple question now.  My father-in-law is showing some PD symptoms, too, I
>think.  He has recently started being dizzy when walking - not when seated.
> Is this a symptom of PD?  His balance in his gait is definitely off.  I'm
>anxious for him to see his Dr. but I'm not sure if he's anxious to follow
>through and find out.  Would appreciate a response.
>Barb

REPLY FROM STEVEN MAYER: Symptoms from PD or not? The most likely causes of
dizziness with walking are due to diseases that damage arterial blood
vessels: renal, brain and heart, and arms and legs and are not necessarily
the result of PD. Rembmer the curious variant on PD - Shy-Drager syndrome
where other neurons than dopaminergic are affected and low blood pressure
develops and can be deadly. The possible involvement of brain blod vessels
to produce ischemia may lower b.p. to the point of a silent, or not so
silent stroke. You should insist on your father seeing a vascular neuologist.
Be firm.  Good luck. Steven Mayer,   [log in to unmask]
Steven E. Mayer, Ph.D.