Roger and all -- I'm already looking forward to Aviva's reflections on
what actually goes on in WAC classrooms.  I can see some real
potential for harm in current practices, as well as much scope for
good things.  (E.g., the increasing use of "critiques" of research
articles for basic assignments.)

I'd been wondering anyway if we could collectively look
at the conceptual underpinnings of what we do as writing
instructors and WAC-encouragers.  Do we have a real basis in
theory--can we define and defend our practices in terms of "justness,"
as Aviva puts it, as well as viability?

Worth trying!

Margaret Procter