Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 01:44:02 GMT
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Northern Journey Online

Forwarded message:
From: "James O'Donnell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 21:36:31 -0400 (EDT)
Subject:  Nothern Journey Online

Northern Journey Online

http://www.io.org/~njo/

E-Journal of Canadian Folk Music and Folklore

Welcome to Northern Journey Online, the website that celebrates Canadian
folk music!

Canada, a large land mass with a small population, generates an arresting
amount of the world's outstanding folk music. From the
Celtic/British/French traditional music of the Maritimes and Quebec to
contemporary singer-songwriters, Canada has produced an extensive
motherlode of roots music. The 60's witnessed the impact of artists like
Gordon Lightfoot, Ian & Sylvia, Leonard Cohen, Buffy Sainte-Marie, and
Joni Mitchell on the world's airwaves. The 70's brought forward Bruce
Cockburn, Murray McLaughlan, Shirley Eikhard, Valdy, and Canada's most
revered songwriter, Stan Rogers.

While folk music today has been moved to the back alleys of radio, folk
festivals are prospering and a new generation of outstanding artists are
again making an international impact: Garnet Rogers, James Keelaghan,
Eileen McGann, Susan Aglukark, Kashtin, and Quartette. Traditional music
is making it back to stage centre through the popularity of the Rankin
Family, the Barra McNeils, the Irish Descendants, Natalie MacMaster, and
Ashley MacIsaac.

For every internationally-known Canadian folk performer, there are dozens
you may never have heard of who are making uncommonly good music. Welcome
to Northern Journey Online. Use this site to discover new artists. Check
here for reviews of new Canadian folk CD releases. Sample my book (hey,
you can even order a copy if you like what you see). Watch for listings of
musical events. Click your way to other folk-music resources on the
Internet. Join Northwest Passage, the Canadian folk music discussion
group. Read contributed features and reviews in Northern Journey Online
Journal. Become a contributor! Send me ([log in to unmask]) an email message.
Enjoy your visit!

Note on Design Philosophy: I have made a deliberate design decision not to
use advanced HTML coding on NJO pages and to employ a minimum number of
small graphics. Many of NJO's readers access this site from freenets using
character browsers like Lynx. I have tried to strike a balance between
attractive, basic page design for graphical browsers and keeping things
let me know.