I agree 100% with the need for more proof of our efficacy. How to go
about this? My preference is for focused evaluation studies/research. I
realize that this kind of evidence targets the ration, and many budget
cuts are (as John Ralston Saul argues) "ideological." However, I am
proceding with a plan to see whether what tutors and students talk about
in writing centre conferences actually shows up in some way in the
product or writer's process. Anyone interested in this, contact me and
I'll send you more detailed information later this month.

I remember a survey of Adult Basic Education instructors conducted in the
US about 15 years ago. Approximately 2% of the respondants were
interested at all in program evaluation. You probably know of the recent
damaging cuts to ABE in the US.

Jim Bell                                Ph. (604) 960-6365
Learning Skills Centre                  Fax (604) 960-6330
University of Northern BC               email [log in to unmask]
3333 University Way
Prince George, BC
Canada  V2N 4Z9