 We are at a low point now and have been there for about 6 weeks. Nancy
had
 been progressing beatifully since her unilateral pallidotomies last
May
 and July. We have been adjusting and changing meds in an attempt to
get as
 much benefit out of the surgery as possible, but we have managed to
get
 into trouble. After successfully using Prozac to contol depression for
 nearly 7 years, we decided to try Serzone. As has been reported here
it is
 supposed to have fewer side effects than Prozac including less impact
on
 sleep disorders and sexual function.

 At this crossroad depression is contolling our lives. Neither of us
are
 getting much sleep. Nancy is hyperactive, compulsive and crys easily
but
 only briefly (1 or 2 minutes per episode). PD off periods are awful.
 Freezing and akinesia are potent and long lasting (one to two hours at
 time). PD meds seem to be working but the results aren't normal. For
 example the standard tests of elbow and wrist mobility almost always
are
 asymptomatic or slightly rigid but right side back muscles are
dystonic
 and legs just don't want to move. There is no return of dyskinesia
 (pallidotomy seems to have eliminated it for good -  we hope) but this
 depression and freezing is making us pay a heavy toll.

Current meds follow:
Medicine                  frequency           quantity   daily total
Serzone 100mg.       9am & 1pm            1            200mg
Sinemet 25/100         every 1 1/2 hr.      1            250/1000
Sinemet 25/100cr     every  3 hr.           1            100/400
Permax  1mg            every 1 1/2 hr.    1/2            4mg
Ativan                        as needed         taking 1 or two a day
for anxiety
Klonopin .5mg         at night              occasional use for sleep
Trazodone 100mg   at night              occasional use for sleep

 Nancy is 51, PD 20 years

 Looking for comments from any who are taking Serzone.

 1. How many milligrams per day?
 2. How long did it take to see the benefits?
 3. Have you noticed any changes in the way your other PD meds are
working?

 We are seeing a neurologist, psychiatrist (for the serzone) and
getting
 counseling to get us through this period but without much success. Any
 ideas/thoughts/help would be appreciated.

 Bob Martone [log in to unmask]