As Forum Manager of The Microsoft Network's "Chronic Disease & Disorders
Forum," with it's dozens of areas devoted to a variety of chronic diseases and
conditons, I've run across individuals in my forum who suffer from
unpronoucable degenerative diseases with life just being one long downhill
slide.  Surprisingly, there's spirit, laughter, warmth, and a wonderful
community feeling in the forum, despite the sad respective and collective
causes of our being brought together there.  We share a lot of good feelings
together, and when there's a "bad day" for anyone, well, we share and care
there, too.

Our member, Jim Jones... a sharp-as-a-tack, 45 year old "latter-day
Woodstockian," had a 'bad MS (mulitple sclerosis) day" yesterday.  Out of his
pain, he wrote the following poem which touched me deeply.  I share it with
you that we may remember that we're not the ONLY ones out there with "bad
days," and human fears.

"ONE OF THOSE DAYS" by Jim Jones, long-time MS sufferer

I woke this day and shook his hand again
As if I had a choice to love or hate
This one who sneers and winks as if a friend
But will not feel the pain or bear the weight
And he will shadow me until this day
Is night when dreams once more turn useless hands
To music, and numb legs to run and play
With crimson lace and lady through the sands
To walk, to jump, to dance and feel the air
To run through fields of grass. To touch the sun
The moon, the stars, the heavens if I dare
Before the morning strikes, my time is done
   Once more his leer, his hand for me to take
   Embrace this beast and know I must awake

Barb Mallut,