From: pietvanderpoorten <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Pallidal stimulation a good alternative

A few weeks ago, at a meeting of young PD, we saw miraculous things !!!

They showed a video from Geert, and two others, before, during and after
their one-side Pallidal stimulation surgery. The neuro-surgeon
Dr.Vanderlinden - a very intelligent and nice man - gave a clarifying
explanation.
Incredible !!! They still have PD but NO symptoms. I spoke with Geert. He
acts, speaks, lives like a complete normal (almost euphoric) person. Only at
night, he said, he turns off his stimulator.
The second operated man (+/-60Y) did give a terrifying demonstration. In
front of the group (+/- 90 persons) he turned off his stimulator. After 10
seconds his whole body (both sides) started terribly shaking, only with a
tremendous effort he succeeded to restart himself the stimulator and ...
after another 10 seconds he was back normal. We couldn't believe our eyes!
I had also a chat with his sympathetic wife. She told us they ran a small
company, they were obliged to stop because of his PD. But now he's even
better then before his illness, she said. Without stimulator his symptoms
are so worse they would keep him awake, so his stimulator works day and
knight. Both man are on half dosis of meds.
It seems that this kind of surgery, which doesn't damage the brain, is a
good alternative for Pallidotomy.
I suspect that if the results stay good in the near future, other Medical
Center, at Roeselare and at the Catholic University of Louvain, will start
also this kind of operation.

We're getting closer and closer ...

Piet Van der Poorten (41/8months)
Belgium