In message <[log in to unmask]> Parkinson's Disease -
Information Exchange Network utoronto.ca writes:
> Ron Reiner ([log in to unmask]) 48 + 7mos PD wrote:
> <<I (as well as a lot of other recent diagnosees ) am making every attempt
> to delay starting Sinemet as long as possible.  Am I deluding myself?
>
> Have there been any formal studies on this issue?>>
>
> There are few formal studies - and there will be none that are not
> confounded by the use of varying dose and added medications that cover a
> number of years.
>
> I consider it foolish to delay use of the only available medication that
> does the best job by far in replacing the deficit in neurotransmitter
> dopamine.  Ron is not the only Parkinsonian doing this delaying - and there
> seem to be numerous advocates that recite that deprenyl or some other
> expensive pill was sufficient to reduce symptoms allowing delay in starting
> laevo-DOPA.
>
> The minimization of medication amount always makes sense.  (This is from
> the patient's point of view.  NOTA BENE:  the drug manufacturer is in
> business to maximize his income. Let the buyer beware!)
>
> I challenge the drug companies or the pharmacists or clinicians to present
> the data that show any benefit in using any other drug first or in delaying
> the usage of levodopa.  (I anticipate no response.)
>
> ron      1936, dz PD 1984
> Ronald F. Vetter <[log in to unmask]>
> http://www1.ridgecrest.ca.us/~rfvetter/
 I concur that there is no good evidence at this time that the delaying of the
onset of taking levodopa ( sinemet) is helpful. Take what you need to feel your
best !      Bob Howard, MD

Bob Howard, occasionally known formally as:
Robert B. Howard <[log in to unmask]>
1320 Wisconsin St.
Hudson, WI 54016
Voice phone (714) 386 3596