Jennifer.. As I've said to you in our personal correspondence, I've got
nothing but good  to say about Loma Linda and Dr .Iacono and his staff.  They
gave me back a life which I'd thought was gone forever.   This is NOT talking
"personalities," because each of us is different, including Dr. Iacono... This
is just pure medicine.  For ME, this was a wonderfully positive experience.
Still is... I still have PD, 'cause as we know, there's no "cure,' but it's
"livable" now, and progression seems to have stopped since the Oct. 24, 1994
surgery.

We never know how interhuman relationships will be and if there'll be a bond
or it'll miss entirely.  In the case of having someone operating on one's
brain, well, that's prollly the sinfle most horrific thing any one of us'll
ever in our lifetime experience.  The fact that the operation itself is
painless is immaterial.  Psychologically this is almost out of The Twiilight
Zone!!  EVERYONE'S tempers are short, and as surgery approaches, fear is
rampent.. plus of course, we all are feeling pretty darn rotten by the time we
opt for neurosurgery!  It's our last hope in most cases!  Each of us, and also
our family members... are a bundle of raw nerves as we face this event..
Things said and done to us are out of our control and we're at the mercy...
literally.. of strangers, in a strange place.  Brain surgery, once we decide
to go ahead with it is an absolute act of faith.  That, coupled with the
training and experience of the surgical team is what makes for a successful
operation... NOT "personalities."

NO ONE in the medical field today anywhere in the entire world has the
experience in performing a pallidotomy that Dr .Iacono and the Loma Linda Team
has.  No one.  None..  Still, if his personality is important to you, well, he
bounces off the walls much of the time, in my opinion. <smile>  He's not
particularly calm or placid, but rather dramatic and has a "twinkle."  He
looks much younger than he is (good genes!) and if you're looking for a
dignified elderly gentleman, he ain't necessarily that.  My daughter
commented, "WOW! HE is a FOX!"  And I'd have to agree <grin>.

Finally, I'd say that you MUST remember that this is a deeply personal
experience for each of us... both our PD AND the pallidotomy.  Each of us is a
unique individual who's suffered from this monster in a highly personal way.
It's not the same for any one of us, and the physician, the surgery, and it's
results won't be either.   Ultimately, it gets down to making a decision
amongst several excellent surgical teams, and then saying "YES! GO AHEAD!"

Barb Mallut