>In a long and interesting message, Ernie writes
>
>I would like to introduce myself. My name is Ernie Peters, I am
>53,  half English half Greek, wonderfully happily married for 33
>years, no children and my wife and I have lived in Leeds  for 21
>years.
>
>was immediately placed in post carrying
>extra responsibilities and a much higher workload.  Many changes
>and restructures were afoot and life was very hectic.  I enjoyed
>the job and the challenge but knew really there should have been
>more help.
>
>.
>
>I hope I have not  over filled your mail boxes but wondered if
>anyone else had an experience where stress or overwork seemed to
>be a contributory factor and anyone who was on Eldepryl and came
>off it.
>
>eters ([log in to unmask])

Welcome to another Brit.A five per cent increase in the numbers on the list
from Gt Britain can't be bad! and in one day.

We are told that Parkinsons can be present for many years before actually
showing any positive signs.It seems that stress caused by overwork would not
actually cause the disease but would tip the balance or have a trigger
effect so that what was not obvious quite rapidly becomes apparent and made
worse.

In my case I believe it was physical stress.In May '92 when I was 63 I went
with my daughter on a three week treking holiday in Nepal.It was really the
wrong time of the year to go as the weather was unbelievably hot.I was also
suffering from an arthritic neck joint.Despite this our trek in the
Himalayan foothills was a wonderful and enjoyable experience.BUT I did find
the combination of an  almost continual uphill gradient on very rough
ground, the high temperatures and and the pain from my neck joint extremely
physically taxing.I can hear somebody singing the words of Noel Coward's
song' Mad Mad Englishmen go out in the midday sun'I arrived home happy but
nackered.By mid summer I had developed strange and unfamiliar leg aches and
at times a very slight tremor.This was the start.

Yes also in living with Parkinsons today I think one has to understand that
even for people without Parkinsons almost every activity involves an element
of stress and healthy bodies can cope with this not even realizing that any
stress is involved.But for Parkinson folk certain everyday activities
according to their temperament do become exagerately STRESSFUL in the sense
that this word is normally used.For instance I am a normally physically and
mentally active person with a lot of business and other interests.Every day
there are lots and lots of things I want to do and some things I have to do
but even thinking about these activities and making targets can cause a
tightening up and tension which exaberates one's slowness which in turn can
make the tension even worse.I now try not to make targets but at the same
time I try to avoid drifting. I'm sure that there is a middle way of
tackling this but it needs constant attention and practice.

mustt dasssssh gotso mauy things to dppppppooo.OOGud my typoing is goging
all funny.II wonde whoy????WEellkl tht nextt meddicaation dose willl fix it/

DaVid