I live in a small  "granny unit" across a small creek from a public park.
During the wet winter months, there's very little activity. As warmer
weather approaches, the sound of horseshoes, the laughter of children, and
the crack of baseball bats begin to be part of my daily symphony. (I almost
expect sometimes to see my Mom drive up in a Chevrolet to hand me an apple
pie.)

In the evening when there's a baseball game, the bright lights by the field
and the muffled voices of the loudspeakers filter through the trees to my
place where I'm (most likely) lying down. I sometimes like to think of this
as "the voice of God", words spoken with volume and authority that I can't
decipher.

At times, I like to believe that this voice is telling me that things will
be alright and not to give up believing in myself....that I already know
what I can give of myself each day.....that my actions (or lack thereof) as
a "PD-surfer" are both an experience for me to learn from as well as an
opportunity to make others aware and educate the masses.

When my meds kick in, this voice loses its magical quality and sounds again
like a night game at the park.

I'm not religious but I found myself in an odd predicament: unable to let
go (literally)  of something a friend gave me. I met this person at the
last bluegrass festival I performed (banjo) at before the band "let me go"
due to the PD and its effect on my playing. I'd shared some banjo-knowledge
with this young teenager at the festival and we traded addresses to stay in
contact. My PD was never brought up till months later when he asked me in a
letter to tape some of my "live playing" for him. It has often been
difficult for me to tell others about the PD. I didn't know what to do
other than tell this 15-yr. old my situation and hope that he understood.

I didn't get another letter from him for almost three months; I didn't
expect to. When his letter arrived, there was a brief note inside and a
piece of black-and-white checkered cloth in a small folded square. The
front of his note told me about a banjo-contest he'd recently placed 2nd in
and that he was looking forward to driving a car soon but the back had this
on it:

"David,
My Mom  and I prayed a long time over this piece of cloth.  It says in the
Bible that if you pray over a piece of cloth and give it to a person who is
ill, they will be cured of their sickness."

I held that piece of cloth the rest of the  afternoon. I still have it in
my wallet and can't bring myself to stop carrying it. I was taken aback by
my friend's "gift" to me and touched by his words.

My pallidotomy is scheduled for sometime next month and I'm sure that piece
of cloth will be there with me.