On Sat, 13 Apr 1996, John Cottingham wrote:

> Since the 27th of March, when the Utoronto changed machines that the >
Listserv ran on some changes have been noticed. While mailing to, and >
receiving mail from the list has basically remained unchanged, some >
traumatic changes have occurred also. > > > Previously every message sent
to Parkinsn was indexed with a number and put > in the archives. Every
message during a particular week was archived in log > file. The log files
dated from the first message sent to the list to the > last. Each one of
these log files was like a file cabinet. > The author of Listserv and his
> successor company, didn't consider the impact of eliminating the
database > functions from Listserv ported to other machines would have on
the research > community. Institutions license the software and therefore
are the 'end > user' rather than us, the 'real' end users. We had no
voice, nor a seat at > the negotiating table. The author was real
defensive when it was announced > by the researchers that 'the Emperor
wore no clothes'.<grin>

John, this is a real disaster for me and for the members of my local
support group who used and appreciated the database search function. From
your message it is clear that we can do nothing about it except bitterly
complain.

  Sid Roberts   66/dx2
  [log in to unmask]       Youngstown, Ohio