It seems if I add “pallidotomy” on to my signature I will be assured of
getting two to five direct Email requests for my experience with this
surgery.  Rather than answer individual requests, let me make my comments on
the public forum.  I had the pallidotomy in May of 1993 in Sweden by Dr.
Lauri Laitinen.  My reason for having the pallidotomy can be simply stated as
“the continued life with PD was worse than the risk of a poor result from
surgery”.  In other words, my life with PD had reached a point where I was
willing to risk neurosurgery to make it better.  Recently I read that the
difference between ordinary surgery and neurosurgery was in neurosurgery
there is a risk of damage as a result of the surgery.

I had a right pallidotomy, which means the left side of my body was effected
by the surgery.  This was the side most severely affected by the disease.  At
the time of surgery I was 53 years old, diagnosed with PD for 9 years with as
much as another 7 years of PD before diagnosis.

It has now been about  three years since the surgery.  This is how I see
myself now.

1.  I still do not sweat as I did before surgery.  I do sweat easily, but I
have not had the magnitude nor frequency of sweating as prior to surgery.

2. My left leg is about 95% rigidity free and has been that way since the
surgery.  This is true whether I am on medication or off.

3.  My left arm did not fare as well.  The lesion missed the true target.  As
a result the arm can still get very rigid when off medication.  I would
guessamet at a 25 - 50% reduction in rigidity for the left arm.

4.  My facial expression can be very descriptive or can be mask like.  Much
depends on the situation.  I can have facial expression.  This was most
noticed by friends when I returned from Sweden and still commented on by
people who knew be before surgery.

5.  My medications have not changed in three years.  I have added a Paxil for
depression which I think I should have done much earlier.

6.  It has been three years and most of you know, PD memory systems are not
known for long term memory.  I have to look at video to remember what I
looked like prior to the surgery.  I have gained some weight, more than
needed.  My PD has advanced on the right side and since it is difficult to
determine which side is doing what, I will extend this advance to the left
side also.  Does this mean the surgery is wearing thin?  I would say it
depends on one’s believe in the surgery.  If you don’t believe the surgery,
than the surgery is failing.  If you believe the surgery, than the surgery is
holding out, the PD is crowding things as it advances.  There is no question
in my mind, that should I not have had the surgery, I would be in much worse
shape.

7.  Today I do not measure my days by what they might have been should I not
have had the surgery.  I measure them just like we all measure them, based on
yesterday.  I am better, worse or no different based on yesterday.  I still
can have dyskinesia on occasion.  It is dominant on the right side.  I have
dystonia in the right foot once in a while.

Would I do it again?  Yes for the same reasons as I did it before.  Will I
have the other side done or will I have the same side redone to improve the
left arm?  Probably not.  Neither is bad enough that they outweigh the risk
of neurosurgery at this point.

General comments about pallidotomy, thallamotomy and stimulation surgery.

The risks of neurosurgery are hemorrhage, infection, misplaced lesion,
hospital related problems, etc.  For experienced neurosurgeons this may be
down around the 3% level.  For your yellow pages neurosurgeon, it could be as
high as 100%.  Experience is key to good results.  This is experience in
pallidotomy and thallamotomy and other related surgery and not in general
stereotactic surgery.  Put it this way, if you are on the OR table and the
neurosurgeon enters the room with a stack of reference books, you are in
trouble.  You should be able to ask the surgeon about their experience and
length of time performing the surgery.  You should be able to talk to their
patients.

Finally, do understand that surgery will not cure Parkinson’s disease.  It
will not remove the requirement to take PD medication.  It has the potential
of reducing the symptoms of the disease.  There is risk.  If the risk is 5%,
that means 5 of every 100 will not get the benefit of the surgery and may
actually be worse off.  If your PD is so bad that you are willing to take the
risk, go for it.  Many have had the surgery and are much better off. In the
recent newsletter from APDA is an article by Dr. Meland DeLong of Emory.  I
suggest you read it and understand it.

Regards,
Alan Bonander
56, 12, infusion, pallidotomy