thanks to everyone and to doug in particular for info re. pallidotomy
experiences. your note doug, reminded me of an experience i had with a good
friend, who was to have a pallidotomy at Loma Linda. We had a very bad
overall experience there and there is still much question as to what
exactly happened. there seemed to be a terrible lack of communication and
personal contact with the doctor. my friend supposedly had a paradoxical
reaction to the medication (i forgot the name of it) which was given to
calm him. between the medication and the thing that is put onto your head,
he got very panicky. also, the doctor, Dr. Iacono, came into the room and
was not very "professional" as he began yelling at the nurses. this added
to the tension. my friend's girlfriend and myself felt the incredible
tension, let alone my friend who was now terrified of the operation and he
did not even make it through the mri. the nite before spent in the hospital
they kept changing their minds as to whether his girlfriend could stay in
the room and keep him company, so they were both up all night.
it was a sad and confusing episode. i believe my friend was a very good
candidate for this operation, young, pd for many years. but now the mere
thought terrifies him.

now my mother is looking into it. they are going to be doing the surgeries
at Kaiser Permanente in LA, by a Dr. Sutton. I am not certain, he may have
been at USC before,...

I am relieved to hear many people have had such good luck with it. I only
wonder about those from whom we do not hear.