   I was very distressed to read the message from Deborah Bellman about her
friend that had such a bad experience with a Pallidotomy at Loma Linda.  I
have heard many controversial things about that site over the past several
years, especially from other neurologists.  It takes a great deal of courage
and strength to undertake a neurosurgical procedure and then to have it end
up so badly, is unconscienable.
    We had such a wonderful experience at Emory (Mahlon DeLong and Roy
Bakay) that I would like to encourage her friend to consider getting on the
waiting list there and perhaps at other places as well.  Several people on
the List have talked about their positive experiences at other locations -
Oregon, Sweden, etc.
     I would never consider this operation unless the physicians had done
MANY of them and have a very good track record.  If they are just starting
to do them, I would not be willing to take that risk.  It requires a great
deal of experience.  As Alan Bonander said, the rate of significant
complications should not exceed 3%, and they should be able to tell you
these facts.  It is well worth the expense (tax deductible however) and
inconvenience to travel to a well-respected hospital and see the BEST
neurosurgeons.

    Take care!

    Susan Hamburger, CG for Stan 61/15, Pallidotomy 1996
It's a funny thing about life; if you refuse to accept anything but the
best, you very often get it.
                     W. Somerset Maughm