Someone wrote me offering too write truckloads of letters.  While
composing my reply my computer ate his address.  Here's the reply.
Please E-Mail me again.

Great to hear that kind of enthusiasm.  If we could just get a few
more like you say in Florida or Chicago or North Carolina.

At the top of your list to write should be your two Senators.     Next on
your list should be your Congressman. Writing letters   is good.   A lot
of letters is great, but, I believe  that the most effective   method of
influencing legislators is a personal visit. If we could have one
person with Parkinson's meet with every Senator and Representative we
will easily pass this bill.  We have a compelling case and when
presented  personally the overwhelming majority of legislators
contacted have agreed to cosponsor.

Next on the list is Senator Nancy Kassebaum of Kansas and those on
her Labor and  Human Resources committee who are not currently
cosponsors   (Ashcroft-MO, Jeffords-VT, DeWine-OH, Gorton-WA,
Coats-IN,  Gregg-NH, Abraham-MI, Harkin-IA).  Despite 29 Senators
cosponsoring   this legislation, it remain stalled in this committee.

The same is true in the House Commerce Subcommittee on Health and
the Environment, chaired by Congressman Mike Bilirakis of Florida,
where this bill languishes despite 109 cosponsors.

Should this bill get out of the Subcommittee it requires approval of the
full Commerce Committee chaired by Congressman Bliley of Virginia.

Finally, the Republican leadership (Senator Bob Dole and Speaker
Newt Gingerich) who will ultimately have great influence on whether
this bill is ever considered  or passes.

Keep your message simple try to limit our pitch to 3   items:  1)
PARKINSON'S IS A DEVASTATING ILLNESS -   Although
treatment with medication is often effective in the early   stages, these
medications lose their effectiveness resulting in  incapacitating
stiffiness and loss of the ability to iniatiate movement.

2) A CURE  IS WITHIN OUR GRASP - Researchers describe
Parkinson's a   the most easily cured neurological disorder - if
adequate research   support is provided. Several major research
advances (neural cell  transplantation, neural growth factors, and
genetic engineering of cells)  leave Parkinson's poised on the brink of
a major breakthrough.

3) THIS LEGISLATION IS COST EFFECTIVE -   Congressional
testimony  estimated the cost of Parkinson's Disease to exceed  $26
million per year.  Even the most conservative estimate is a staggering
$6 billion per year.  Expenditures of $100 million per year for five
years to save $26 billion  per year is an investment any company in the
private sector would make  without hesitation.