Time to work the full court press on Congress to pass the Udall Bill.

In New Jersey we are planning a Phone-In campaign to gain co-sponsorship from
the seven remaining representatives of the total thirteen in the state who
have yet to sign on.  It is scheduled for this Tuesday, April 23rd.  If you
need a local or D.C. phone number for your Congressman E-mail me, call your
library, check your phone book.  But, call on Tuesday to thank the
co-sponsors and let the others know you want them to become co-sponsors.  Ask
why they're not co-sponsoring.  Ask if they need any information to make a
decision.  Ask for a written reply.  If you don't get one after repeated
letters and calls, let your friends and neighbors know that their
representative is not sufficiently interested to acknowledge our situation.

Why should Congress micromanage the NIH regarding PD spending?

Because the opportunity for effective treatment within the next few years is
so great relative to the suffering that is caused by PD.  (We received letter
upon letter from Senator Bill Bradley's office maintaining that NIH funding
should remain autonomous from Congressional interference.  Finally, we found
a supporter in the Senator's new healthcare aide who appreciated the exciting
developments and momentum in PD science.)

Because PD effects a small number of very specific cells in the brain.
 Though highly complex, is a relatively simple system to work with versus
more widespread pathology such as seen in Alzheimer's.  Scientists believe
that positive results will come sooner and can then be applied to other
neurodegenerative diseases.

Because until now Parkinson's research funding has been overlooked compared
to other disease groups.  Some have established, well-organized and
well-financed lobbying groups and command greater public attention.  We have
a right to demand a fair share of the total research dollars for PD. It is
the duty of our elected officials to listen to us and to advocate for our
interests if they are convinced that our position is warranted.

I hope that more of you decide to come to Washington, D.C. to let your
representatives hear your story.  Many simply do not know about the exciting
research potential.  I have spoken to healthcare aides who have no idea what
PD is. Many are unfamiliar with the Udall Bill.  We still have a huge amount
of work and not much time to educate and persuade them.  We have to let them
know what the Udall Bill is and that co-sponsoring it is the right thing to
do.

Pass the Udall Bill in '96.  Do it for Mo.

Fund the Research.  Find the Cure.

Ken Aidekman