>Humorous but also  somewhat true. I'm told what the cows have is infectious
>to humans. causing Parkinsonism symptoms that rapidly progress to eventual
>death.
>
>Also not somewhat true and a little bit too scary to go without
comment.CJD(Creutzfelt Jacob disease)a human brain disorder which could not
be confused with Parkinsons was first described in 1920 and is very
rare.(?one in a million).A similar sort of disease has affected a large
number of UK cattle from the early 80's but the cases are now
diminishing.This is called BSE ( Bovine Spongiform Encephalytis). At one
time it was thought that BSE could not pass the inter species barrier but
the recent reognition of a slightly different form of CJD in about 20 deaths
from CJD has cast doubts on the impossibility of transfer theory.It is
thought not possible for BSE to be transfered by ordinary contact with cows
but there is now a considered possibility ( not proven) of transfer through
eating infected beef which might have entered the food chain before
regulations were put in place to stop this.I believe that there are no
reported cases in the USA or Canada.Lecture ended
David Langridge.