able to look at things and sometimes laugh. People can be cruel and
sometimes they can be funny. By being able to joke about my PD, I have
discovered most people are more readily willing to talk about it to me
and arent upset about making light of how I do things. This can make
relations much easier. Two things that have made me chuckle are as
follows.

The other night my wife and I attended a progessive dinner and after
having drinks, snacks at one house walked to the next for dinner.
Again, more food and drink. On the way to the third house for dessert
someone commented that if the police came by and saw me they would
surely assume I was drunk, since I walk uneven and stagger somewhat due

to lose of balance. I assured them that I didn't worry because if I
truley was drunk there would be no problem- I would be walking straight

and upright. This got a laugh and opened avenues for conversation.

I also do a lot of work with the high school marching band, both my
boys were members. Usually I help with the equipment and transporting
the instruments. At one particular competition it was extremely hot and

turnrd out to be a long day. I took my meds. out of sequence and was
having trouble with sweating and dyskineses, terrible uper body
twitching. As the  day progressed my nerves got short and I yelled a
lot at kids to quit goofing off and not to sit in the dirt with their
white uniform pants on.  One boy said I was always picking on him for
everything ( That's because he did everything )  I smiled and told him
he reminded me of the old song in the 60's called"Charlie Brown"  where

the chorus was "Why everybody always picking on me". Without a
hesitation he replied that I also reminded him of a old song, "Twitch
and Shout". His friend then laughed and said " I thought it was the
commercial-" Shake and Bake"  at first noone laughed- they all just
looked at me and I just cracked up laughing.  My relationship with
these  high school kids has been great since that day- They would do
anything to help me.

Sorry for the legnth of this but thought it important to remember that
yes we sometimes move slow and different , but if WE can laugh at it
everyone else feels more at ease and acceepts the way we are.

John Kraft   50 /  16 yrs PD