MR STEVEN L KINNEY wrote:

> My Mother is 62 years old and has PD approximately 7 years.
> She is on sinemet for the PD and pamelar for the depression
> associated with PD.  She has, over the last year or so, show
> increasing signs of confusion, intense anxiety,
> forgetfulness, moderate to extreme paranoia and eccentric
> behavior ( she will not sleep in her bedroom, she sleeps on
> the couch in the living room) and so on.

Mr Kinney:
What has been your mother's typical diet over the last 2-3 years? Does
she take a multivitamin? And how long has she been taking the Pamelor?

This may be a long shot, as your mother is using Pamelor, which is a
metabolite of amitriptyline. However, amitriptyline HCL (Elavil, Endep)
increases the need for riboflavin (vitamin B2). B2 deficiency can lead
to symptoms such as depression, behavior changes, and hysteria. Although
 B2 is readily found in animal proteins and enriched breads and cereals,
as well as green vegetables, her need for B2 may be increased due to use
of the drug. Also, many people change their dietary habits when on
sinemet and other drugs, and can get too little of some nutrients.

The amitriptyline itself can cause drowsiness, blurred vision, tremors,
confusion, and/or weakness.

I would ask her geriatrician to evaluate her B vitamin status. I'd also
ask if the Pamelor could be causing any of the symptoms you report. Many
older adults experience symptoms due to the medications and/or food-drug
interactions due to the drugs they take.

I hope this helps.
Best regards,
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
Editor-in-Chief
"Spotlight on Food--nutrition news for people 60-plus"
http://www.fortnet.org/~fivstar