Why should Congress fund additional Parkinson's research?

There is one compelling reasons to increase funding of Parkinson's
research.  It is what distinguishes Parkinson's from the other major
diseases -  the neuroscientists  are near unanimous in their view that
we know more about Parkinson's than any other neurological affliction
and WE ARE CLOSE TO FINDING CURE.
 We must emphasizes this point over and over.

It is the answer to those who  object to targeting specific diseases
by Congress.  Maybe the NIH's philosophy of pursing the best science
is in the broader picture the proper course, but we are close to a
cure with Parkinson's.   Let us allocated the needed resources and put
this affliction behind us.  Activity Parkinson's with

It is the answer to those who wish to balance the budget.  Spend a
relatively small amount to cure Parkinson's and reap huge benefits for
years to come my eliminating the costly medications, nursing  home
care and lost productivity.  All of these are possible because we are
close to a cure in Parkinson's.

It is the answer to those concerned about human fetal tissue research.
   There are so many other promising avenues, including non human
fetal transplants that funding increased Parkinson's research is
perhaps the best way to eliminate the concerns of those who object to
the use of human fetal tissue.  This is possible only because we are
closed to a cure in Parkinson's.

When speaking to Congressmen than Senators we are told to tell our own
stories.  There are many tragic stories, but ours is compelling
because something can be done about it for a relatively modest amount
by federal budget standards.  That is why personal contract is so
important.  It is extremely difficult for someone to look you in the
eye, knowing that they might eliminate your suffering and refuse to do
so. This is possible only because we are closed to a cure in
Parkinson's.

As we begin the final effort to pass the Udall Bill, we will be asking
you to redouble your letter writing and phone contract with your
legislators.  Perhaps more important is for someone with Parkinson's
to visit every Senators and Congressmen.   Don't wait for someone else
to make this personal contract.    Surely it would be an awful feeling
to see this legislation fall short by a few votes and to realize you
could have made the difference.  It is far better to have several
visit than to have none.  With both of these efforts we must
continually emphasize WE ARE CLOSE TO FINDING CURE.