From:   Parkinson's Disease - Information Exchange Network on behalf of
Sent:   Monday, April 29, 1996 7:52 AM
To:     Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN
Subject:        3AM thoughts

Work in Progress

Each of us has a dream that we are painting on a mystical canvas with brushes
double-loaded with hope and conviction.  The joy of living is used as a
solvent to spread the colors of this dream as our canvas grows.   The margins
are poorly defined, far out in our field of peripheral vision.  We are
reaching, growing, stretching. . .but the boundaries change too, remaining
undefined and out of our reach..

A few words, quietly spoken, sever the threads of that canvas.  "Cause
unknown,  progressive deterioration, side effects,  incurable."  The margins
of the work are clearly defined now. But dreams don't have margins....they
have no beginning and no ending...they have no tangible dimensions.   This is
no longer a dream in progress but a challenge to be worn.

At first, I fashion it into a small lapel pin, some will notice it, a few
will acknowledge it.
As I grow more accustomed to its presence, I fashion it into a larger  piece.
Do I weave it into a basket to be worn on my head?
Do I bunch it together and drape it over my shoulder, pinning it in place
with bravery?
Do I whittle it into a cane that I can lean on and gain security from?
Or do I knit it into a thick blanket and cover myself so that no one else
need be confronted by the margins of my challenge.

You are the critic.  What do you want to see?  Which medium is most pleasing?

 What do I think?

I have no favorite. . . I am only did them because they were my assignment.
  I wanted to continue working on my dream.

Rita Weeks
April 29, 1996