Barbara wished Dr Iacono had fixed her "speller" at the same time of a great
pallidotomy.  I just want to assure you that Dr Iacono did not switch
prefixes on the word "lateral" preceding the word pallidotomy in Barbara's
head.

Barbara said she had a monolatrial palllidotomy

mono - a combining form meaning (a) one, single, alone (b) in chemistry, the
presence of one atom or group of that to the name of which it is attached.

uni - a combining form meaning one

bi - A prefix meaning (a) two, twice, double (b) in anatomy, connection with
or relation to each of two symmetrically paired parts (c) in chemistry,
presence of two atoms or equivalents (of a component) or presence (of this
component) in double the usual proportion or in double the proportion of the
other component.

tri - a combining form meaning three

There seems to be an inconsistency in applying the prefix.  Mono and bi seem
to go together and uni and tri go together.  Since this is not the way they
are used, our memory will be called upon one more time.

The actual medical terms for the pallidotomy are:

unilateral pallidotomy:

Means to apply the procedure called pallidotomy to only one side of the
brain.  Sometimes the word unilateral is omitted and the actual side of the
brain is given such as left or right  pallidotomy.  In the left pallidotomy,
the lesion is placed in the left side of the brain and effects the muscle
movement on the opposite side (right side) of the body. A right pallidotomy
thus effects the left side of the body with a lesion on the right side of the
brain.

bilateral pallidotomy:

Means to apply the procedure to both sides of the brain.  This term is used
when both the left and right pallidotomy is performed during the same
surgical operation.  To my knowledge there is not a word that means two
pallidotomies performed, one left and one right, but at two separate times.

ipsilateral:

Situated on the same side, as for example paralytic (or similar) symptoms
which occur on the same side as the lesion causing them.

The word ipsilateral is used to reference symptoms that appear on the same
side as the pallidotomy.  Since a left pallidotomy effects the right side of
the body, the ipsilateral symptoms are those symptoms appearing the left side
of the body.  Thus in a technical paper one might read:   A unilateral
pallidotomy was performed reducing symptoms by as much as 95% without
changing ipsilateral symptoms.  This just means the pallidotomy worked well
on the target side and had no crossover, good or bad, to the other side.

The following three words should now be well etched in your brain:
   Unilateral Pallidotomy - one sided pallidotomy
   Bilateral Pallidotomy - two sided pallidotomy
   Ipsilateral symptoms - symptoms appearing on same side as site of lesion

(Monolateral I am sure, was understood by all.  Now you know what happens
when one cannot sleep.)

Regards,
Alan Bonander