> Hi..some of you saw this when it was originally posted on MBU, so
forgive me
> for reposting it here, but thought others would laugh...it's particularly
> appropriate given the talk from the U. of Calgary folks about their entrance
> writing test....now what would they do with this essay??

I don't know what the talk from U of C was about, since unfortunately
I wasn't there (wherever there was), but I can tell you that we get
that sort of essay about once a year on our entrance writing test and
we give it a superior pass.  Obviously, this writer is control of his
language.  And, btw, it is almost always a fellow who takes this
humorous and daring approach.  Some of our daring writers were much
more subtle than this New Yorker, for his approach is a little on the
obvious side.  I particularly remember one young man writing on the
topic "Professional athletes should not be treated as heroes" (or
something along that line).  His essay was very puzzling until it
finally dawned on us (slow) readers that he meant hero sandwiches!
But then I have always thought Canadians to have more of a sly
sense of humour than Americans.

Mieke