Barbara's note reminds me: I'm trying, on various other lists and
through various other sources, to figure out what a "contact hour" is
and what its role is, most places, in determining whether a course is
a course.  So I'm thinking about this stuff . . .

When Barbara says Calgary's introducing a 3 year BGS degree, I
think: "How many 'courses' (or credit hours, or semesters, or
whatever units we use to measure it) is that?"  In some ways, STU has
had a sort of unofficial 3-year option because our degree is defined
as 20 "courses" (or 120 "credit hours," translating a full-year course
into 6 credit hours), and I've seen a number of customers (oops) buy
their degree (double oops) in three years, by taking all the
intersession and summer session courses they could cram in.  I take
it that's not what the BGS is?

                                   -- Russ
                                __|~_
Russell A. Hunt            __|~_)_ __)_|~_   Department of English
St. Thomas University      )_ __)_|_)__ __)  PHONE: (506) 363-3891
Fredericton, New Brunswick   |  )____) |       FAX: (506) 450-9615
E3B 5G3   CANADA          ___|____|____|____/    [log in to unmask]
       ~~~~~~~~ http://www.StThomasU.ca/hunt/hunt.htm ~~~~~~~~