Well Doug, went home last night after my posting and came across an
excellent article which addressed some of the issues you raised (and
btw supported my point that we should have both approaches to offer
our clients/students--and double btw why aren't we asking them what
they prefer?):  "Another Look at WAC and the Writing Center" by Judy
Gill in Spring 1996 issue of "The Writing Center Journal" (16, 2)
pp. 164-178.

So there's a reference for you.

Mieke

p.s.  I so wish I had been able to attend the last Inkshed, as the
matter of writing competence tests is something we have struggled with
and have made some, I think, interesting changes to.  See you.  m.

Mieke Koppen Tucker                     Bishop's University
Director, Writing Centre                Lennoxville, Que.
Writing Proficiency Programme           Canada J1M 1Z7
819-822-9600, ext.400                   Fax: 819-822-9661
home: 819-823-7273                      [log in to unmask]