Hi...i've been thinking a lot about Kenna's and Susan's dialogue about the
business rhetoric used in university discourse these days....(for those not
at Inkshed 13 it was the last "talk" of the conference and it will be
published in the June _Inkshed_).  Here are some other references to that
topic:

-->There was an article in last Saturday's Globe and Mail (which i didn't see
till I got home) written by Coyne about the economics of universities, but
that man makes me so mad, i haven't had the energy to read it...

-->But I just found a reference to an article by Norman Fairclough (who I
*really* think very highly of) called "Critical Discourse Analysis and the
Marketization of Public Discourse: the Universities."  _Discourse and
Society_ 4(2): 133-68. Unfortunately, our library is missing that volume.
 I'm going to try to get inter-library loan to get me the article, but in the
meantime, there's the citation.

-->There is a Management Prof. at McGill--his name is Mintzberg--who is
standing up--at least in the Globe and mail--and saying that government (and
in particular education) is not a business...

anyway, that is my addition to the article by the Philosophy prof. that Kenna
and Susan mentioned at the conference.  I didn't write the reference down
properly; can someone post in on-line?

thanks, mary-louise