Thank you Roger for your insights into the "marketization"
of universities. I was not able to attend Inkshed and thus
missed the context of this issue, but I wonder at what point
were North American universities no longer participants
in a/the market?

Roger's comment seems to echo C. Knoblauch's piece in Myra
Kogen's collection of essays (Kogen, 1989) where Knoblauch reminds
us of Bowles and Ginis work (see also Bourdieu and Passeron)
who have rather effectively shown that schooling plays an
vital role within capitalist economies. Knoblauch writes:

  "Bowles and Gintis, among others, have pointed out that
   resemblances between the organization of schools, including
   personnel, departments, and curricula, and the organization
   of (other) managerial hierarchies and labor specializations
   in the capitalist workplace are far from coincidental. The
   former is both a reflection of the latter and a contributor
   to its maintenance" (p. 247).

In addition, it is hard to dis-associate universities from
the education and reification of the professions and other
workforces vital to the economy.

As Roger seems to suggest (if I can put keystrokes in his
computer) the issue is not so much "whether or not scholars
participate in the market" it is "*how* will we negotitate
the demands of the market within our scholarship." For example,
G. Ulmer (1985?) offers a detailed discussion of the ways in
which French philosophers (yes, Derrida et al.) created political
strategies for re-integrating philosophy into the French
school system -- working beyond the university and in
co-operation with legislative and political branches of
government.

I think Roger is correct when he notes that universities need
to provide (and many do) services that the public will pay
for. Now, this doesn't mean that we blindly serve the whims
of the population any more than Microsoft sits back and waits
for people to "appreciate" Windows '95. We simply need to
be a little more rhetorically ambitious. . . .

Brenton Faber

Brenton Faber                     [log in to unmask]
University of Utah
University Writing Program
Salt Lake City UT.