I don't get it.  Some of the recent postings about markets, privatization
and universities seem to posit a "marketplace" that is alien, separate,
and inhabited by some other tribe.

Where is this place?  How does one stand away from or above it?

I would think that any person who wants to receive money for using his or
her wits (e.g., a professor or teacher) is standing right in the the
hubbub of a large market.

To change the perspective:  as a student, I like to have as much market
information as I can get before I part with my time and my money on a
course or programme or school. Am I going to learn what I want to learn?
Might Ilearn more?  Is the teacher the best I can get?  Do employers
respect credentials from this school?  Could I learn this topic better on
my own?  By correspondence?  Elsewhere?

Another perspective:  Isn't it a good idea for any intellectual worker,
and perhaps especially teachers, to teach, research, listen and observe in
as many markets and forums and businesses as possible?  To people
attending a university located on one floor of a commercial downtown
highrise, or to a community reading circle, or to a student in Northern
Ontario doing long distance learning, I think the notion that the
"marketplace" and "business" are inimitable to universities (or to real
learning) would sound pretty strange.

We live in a marketplace, a place of perpetual exchange.  I think it
behooves us to better understand our place within it.