With regard to Russ's last posting, how can a teacher not be a peddlar?
Anyone who receives money from someone else is peddling, no?

It seems to me that Russ wants to disassociate himself from the
hurleyburley of commerce, but still get a check from -- whom?  Any why, if
not for the "wares" he's peddling?

There's a grammar of money, as R. Davies suggested more than once, and
whereas you can use money without paying attention to the grammar, you
can't insist that you aren't affected by the grammar.

With regard to Rick's posting, I would say that a university (or any locus
of learning) is not "like" a market.  It's in, it's part of a larger
market of ideas and exchange, monetary and otherwise.  To insist that
universities are somehow separated from commerce and the larger market of
ideas and alternate teaching / learning foci is wrong-headed and wrong.

There are signs all over my part of town:  No Third Lane, Communities
Before Cars!  They refer to a proposed bridge expansion, and their stuck
in the lawns of people who have, for the most part, two or three cars!  To
say that universities exist in some realm separate from commerce and
markets, while taking hundreds of millions of dollars from those markets
for their own well being reminds me of those lawn signs.

Jamie.