Sorry I'll be dropping out of this really interesting discusion
this week -- I am writing my comps this week and will be
somewhat distracted from what appears to me to be a little more
pressing issue here......

On Sat, 18 May 1996, Russ Hunt wrote:

> Brenton Faber says,
>
> > and they derive their authority (both culturally and economically)
> > from the degrees earned in our institutions and our classes.
>
> No, in fact they don't.  (I'm leaving aside the complications
> introduced into the dichotomy by Kenna & Susan's presentation, and
> Marcy's summary of it.)  Their "authority" does _not_ come from their
> degrees.  Their power is economic.

You seem to be missing the cultural power a university degree
establishes and the professional-context of this power. I refer you
to Bledstein's excellent analysis of the role of the university
in establishing and reifying middle class values. In addition,
M. Larson has an equally good analysis of hegemony, profession
and university education.

> > "The language of business and the marketplace" has (until quite
> > recently) always been our language
>
> I'm sorry, but this seems to me just flat wrong.  Maybe I'm missing
> something.  That language is a strikingly modern invention.  I may
> or may not want to adopt some part of it, but the language of the
> market hasn't always been "our" language, and isn't now.  The
> language of the bottom line, of economic efficiency, of the trial by
> market, has not, at any rate, been _my_ language.  It's a language
> which presumes a whole set of values, not many of which I want
> anything much to do with.  I came into this racket to find, and live
> in, another discourse, one which insists that we have social
> obligations transcending money and price.

English literature and the study of language does pre-date Matthew
Arnold. As Foucault notes, perhaps we need to re-read our Sophists...
and consider the ways in which modernist aesthetic language has
constructed (what R. Coe noted -- see previous messages) arbitrary
metaphors isolating "art" from the "market" -- really a very recent
invention considering....

Again, sorry to be dropping out, but then again, perhaps
I won't be missed all that much [nervous grin]...

Brent

Brenton Faber                   [log in to unmask]
University of Utah
Salt Lake City, UT
84112