Changing the subject somewhat from the gloomy issue of privatization
etc...

I am determined to redouble my efforts to "do something" about the
writing test and writing centre at the U of C.  I had already decided
this but seeing the situation from outside, as presented by Geoff,
Barabara and Jo-Anne at Ink13 lit my fire again.

So I'm on an electronic fact-finding tour.

1.  Henry, you collected a lot of dat recently on writing centres
acroos the country.  I'd ask you to send it to me personally except
that I imagine that a lot of people on this list would be interested.
Is it in postable format?  Alternatively, is there a report or pile of
info that you could put into a big brown bag and send to me?

2.  I am especially hoping to lever the whole requirement into some
form of WAC system.  I notice that most WAC programs across the
country seem to come from much smaller institutions that seem to be
able to rally unified support.  This is not encouraging.  However, I
would really like to hear from any institution that has any version
of what might be called a writing across the curriculum program?  (I
have a brown bag from Philippa about Laurentian's program but I hope
to hear from other places.)

I am particularly interested in how the program is structured (how
many WAC courses students must take under what circumstances etc) and
of course budget.  After I get a short idea of what's out there I'd
like to get into individual discussions over juicy political details.

I'd also like leads on institutions that might have WAC-ish sorts of
programs but which might not be represented by anyone on the CASLL list.

Thanks.

Doug

* * * * * *
 Doug Brent
 Director, Undergraduate Programme in Communications Studies
 Director, Effective Writing Programme

 Internet: [log in to unmask]
 Web Page: http://www.ucalgary.ca/~dabrent
 Smail:    Faculty of General Studies