I think I've uncovered something that I didn't want to know.  Frankly, I
simply assumed that there would be a chorus from around the country saying
that everyone else pretty much was offering what I thought of a standard
four-year degree (which could, of course, through overload and summer
courses be complted in three).
        Aside from the slipperines of terms -- and the ambiguities
surrounding credit-hours which are always a problem when considering
transatlantic degrees -- I am getting nervous that those market forces are
going to be pushing us towards something quite unattractive.
        To say that you can't do anything with a four-year degree is
hardly a reason to institute a three-year degree (which presumably would
need an extra qualifying year for getting into any graduate programs.  At
least it does in Ontario now.)  ANd as for med and law schools, you don't
need a degree anyway -- except for in Quebec.
        Actually it fascinates me that there seem to be far more
differences in all this across Canada than there are across the US.  ANd
not just that, most of us don't really know what the others are doing.
And I bet that when it comes to making real changes in our curricula (as
we, at least, are about to do), I doubt that we will look outside our
provinces (if indeed we look outside our own institutuions.  After all, we
all remember how we were educated -- that is standard enough).
        Thanks all
        Aviva